Saturday, April 9, 2011

My Top 6 Favorite DCOMs of the 90's

I want to mainly keep this blog focused on TV shows that I loved as a kid, and want to generally divert from going into discussions about the culture or other forms of media form the 90's. There is one area though that does not classify as a TV that I will be briefing on, and the is DCOMs. DCOMs, for those of you that don't know, stand for Disney Channel Original Movies, yes the same format that brought us High School Musical in the like. But believe it or not, before they starting spitting out shit like that, there were pretty good, specifically in the late 90's to early 2000's. Seeing how this is a 90's blog, I will give you my top 6 favorite DCOMs of the 90's.

6. The Thirteenth Year.


The Thirteenth Year told the story of Cody Griffin, your average 12 year old boy. He was popular, a good swimmer, and had a redhead girlfriend, just all around really cool, until he turned the (very old age) of 13. After his 13th birthday, Cody started realizing changes in his body, and I'm not talking about puberty. No, he was turning into a merman. After enlisting the help of the school nerd Jess, Cody learns to deal with his changes and live a dual life of merman and teenage boy. This movie also introduced the world to Kristen Stewart, which latter allowed her to play the awesome role of Bella on Twilight! Yea!

5. Underwraps.


Underwraps was about a group of (really old) 12 year olds who found an ancient mummy who comes to life. Thankfully, the mummy was friendly and just wanted to hang out with the kids. The gang is reluctant at first, but warm up to the idea once they find out they are Harold's only hope to get back into his coffin before midnight on Halloween, a task that must be completed or else Harold will disappear forever. This DCOM had everything I wanted as a kid, action, comedy, superstition, and Adam Wylie.
Such a Bad Ass
4. Smart House


If second grade taught me what math was, Smart House taught me what cool was. The DCOM was about your average everyday family, that won a "smart house," a futuristic house in which everything is automated and done for you. The main character was the son of the family, Ben Cooper. At first, everything is going fine and everyone is enjoying the house, that is until Ben realizes his dad is falling in love with the creator of the smart house. Ben doesn't want his dad to "replace" his dead mom, so he makes smart house feel more human with emotions and less computer-esque. The house takes the family hostage eventually but it all works out. The movie also has cest la vie by Bewitched in it (awesome song), and the most amazing party scene ever.
It's so awesome the person who put it on youtube decided to split it into two videos! Thanks! (second one has the line dancing)


3. Halloweentown

Everyone knows Halloweentown, it tells the story of Marnie Piper and her two younger siblings. They are seemingly normal kids, until one day they find out their Grandma, who they only see on Halloween, is a witch! They learn this by secretly following their grandma to a bus, which takes them to Halloweentown: a city where ghouls, shosts, goblins, and witches live! But luckily all these creatures are nice, well all except the evil Kalabar. Kalabar is freezing everyone in Halloweentown, and he even gets Marnie's grandma! There is no one that can stop Kalabar now, except for a group of three kids apporximately aged 8, 11, 13, who just found out they were witches. Luckily it works, because whenever you can put the fate of an entire city in the hands of three little kids who don't know what they're doing, you gotta do it. This DCOM also spawned off 3 sequels.


2. Johnny Tsunami

Johnny Tsunami was one of my favorite all-time DCOMs. It was about Johnny and his family moving from Hawaii to Vermont. Besides the obvious fact Vermont sucks, what sucked even more for Johnny was leaving behind all his friends and family and the ability to surf. There's no oceans in Vermont. Johnny's transition to his new home/school is tough at first, until he discovers snowboarding. He gets a black friend out of it too. The mountain that he "boards" on is divided by snowboarders and skiiers, with each claiming half of the mountain. At the end of the show, Johnny has to race against the school bully (and skier), Bret, to decide the fate of the mountain. Johnny wins and now there is no more division in the mountain, you can ski or board anywhere.

1. Brink!

Let me start off by saying Brink was just awesome, friggen awesome. It was about soul skating, putting on those blades and hitting the streets because you loved what you did. Brink was about a kid named Brink, and his skating team. They believed blading was awesome, something to be respected and honored, not abused to make money, like what their rival the xblades did. However due to a twist of faith, Brink's family was in financial trouble, and brink being the awesome skater that he was, was offered a spot on team xblades for the insanely high amount of $200 a week, a figure only most could dream to make back in 1998. After some thought, he decides to accept the position, but hides it from his friends/skate team, because he doesn't want them to know he sold out, though they eventually discover that he is on their team. After ignoring his families financial issues and thinking only of his "rep," Brink quits team xblades, joins back up with his old crew and calls it team suds'n'puffs and defeats Val in the big downhill race to win first place at the Xgames competition. Awesome.

42 comments:

  1. You know who loves DCOM movies?.....MY MOM! *high fives*....uh, no I'm not joking. She loved Halloweentown, I thought it was pretty decent too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be able to name like all 73 of them (when there were only 73 obviously) like 4 years ago when I was a junior in high school. My friends mom thought I was immature and hated me afterward because I did in during a car ride with her. Yea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Smart House is the only decent one there. I was never into DCOMs.. I was a Nickelodeon kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Halloweentown. I loved it! I haven't seen the other 5 :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to watch Disney cartoons all the time. They were the defacto standard for afterschool entertainment back in the 90's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, Disney how you ruin things now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These types of movies have never really been my style. I prefer the animated disney movies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. never seen any of these to be honest :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Halloweentown and The Thirteenth Year are still some of my fav movies. I wished I was a mermaid so freaking bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol never heard of these movies

    ReplyDelete
  11. neither of those i have seen. They are too recent i guess

    ReplyDelete
  12. im with most people. never heard of these movies rofl.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't have cable back then so my nostalgia meter is at 0.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never heard of any of these movies. Ill take your word for their unwavering valor!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've literally seen all the ones you listed, as well as their sequel. I don't know whether to feel accomplished or sad.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have you seen arrested development?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I actually sort of liked Brink

    ReplyDelete
  18. I vaguely remember watching Halloweentown a LONG time ago. I don't know if it's just that I'm older now, but I swear the quality of Disney movies has gone way downhill since I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've seen .5/5 of these movies!
    man i feel young?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh man...nostalgia'd hard.
    While flipping through the channels a couple weeks ago, I saw "Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century" and I was like, "What is that like 5 years old?"
    It was over 10 years ago.
    Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow I've seen all 6 of these movies, I'm so original!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nostalgia kicks in full force!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great post! I hope you keep up this excellent blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dunno why, but i have never heard of these -.- Follow

    ReplyDelete
  25. i remember this, thank you for the nostalgia

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for sharing, needed something like this right now! Those are great.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh man i remember watching all of those.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Never even seen any of these :(

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really missed out here, never was into DCOMs, much more of a cartoon network guy.

    ReplyDelete
  30. There's something really awful about the Disney school of acting.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You totally forgot about my date with the presidents daughter. and/or the paper brigade.
    I might be dating myself as those movies could be a bit older than the nineties, but I thought they were at least

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my goddd hahaha, I've seen all of these except for 2 and 1 (which is weird I guess) but I always forget about the stupid Disney Channel when I think about my childhood since I always defaulted to Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  33. SMART HOUSE was my all time favorite movie when I was little. Also, Brink was such a BA.

    ReplyDelete
  34. nostalgia! halloweentown! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I can't say that I have really watched any of those.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I wouldn't watch that shit if you paid me to...

    ReplyDelete
  37. disney was my all time favorite i simply love watching it....and now i wish to watch the others too

    ReplyDelete