Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Clarissa Explains it All


Year Created: 1991
Seasons: 5

Overview: Clarissa Explains it All told the story Clarissa Darling, an average 14 year old girl growing up in a small suburban town in Ohio. There, she lived with her parents, Janet and Marshall Darling, and her mischievous little brother, Ferguson. The final main character was Clarissa's platonic best friend(zoned?) Sam Anders. The show was known for it's many pop culture references and commentary on the average American teenage life at the time. Typical plot arcs would involve things like drama, sex, drinking, shoplifting, and prostitution (though prostitution is never mentioned in the show, it speculated that the focus in the sixth season would be solely on it.) Throughout the series, the main characters grew up together, experience things such as first crushes, driver's licenses, and going off to college. The show officially ended at the end of the fifth season when Clarissa moved to New York to become a journalist and Sam went to an all-female college. Clarissa Explains it All, perhaps better than any other show at the time, embodies the fashion, sentiment, and culture of the early 90's white American family. It also broke many taboos at the time, such as being the first show on Nick with a lead female character and also that she had a boy for a best friend. A few years ago, Melissa Joan Hart was offered the chance to make a reunion show with the rest of the cast, but turned it down to pursue the role of the crazy teacher who gets raped and impregnated by one of her students on Law and Order:SVU, which she did eventually get.

Most Liked Character: Sam Anders.
What was considered cool back then
Sam was by far the coolest kid on the show, and perhaps the coolest person to ever claim to be from Ohio. He was nice, smart, polite, but even more so than that, a bad-ass with a rebellious streak. He liked to skateboard (presumably even doing so at parks that did not permit it, as he was that cool) and surfing, an activity he did daily since he lived in the beautiful, coastal Buckeye State. Sam went to an all-girl college at the end of the show, pulling in a (presumably) countless amount of tail. He also would always enter Clarissa's room through her window, and did I mention everytime he did a totally awesome guitar riff would play?


Least Liked Character: Ferguson W. Darling.

 The last Video is a perfect segue into the least liked character from the show, Clarissa's little brother Ferguson. Look at him: his frail little body, the red hair, and face only a mother could love, couple that with an annoying know-it-all personality, and it's a surprise only one kid ever truly bullied him on the show. I know I would if I got the chance. 

Who the Show is Good For: White kid's in the 90's (see a trend?), girls, people what watched the show back in the day, people who want to bone up on pop culture, and people who can look at Melissa Joan Heart and not think of her current lazy eye (I can't.)

One of these things is not like the other

 Who Should Avoid the Show: Minorities, people who didn't watch the show back in the day, the lazy eye thing again.


Recommendation: Overall, the show is good and what it is meant for: a foray into the average teenage girl's life in the early 90's, and I would recommend watching it if you did back in the day, but if you didn't watch it back then, this is potentially one to avoid.

Of course, the awesome theme song:

34 comments:

  1. have never seen this show bro. Must've missed out on some good times :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remembering this show makes me feel old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remembering this show makes me feel dumb. :(
    pete and pete or gtfo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry Snoop, Pete and Pete is coming up soon (one of my favorites too)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great, now I have the theme song for this stuck in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha yeah, not the theme song I wanted nailed into my head...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, now this brings back some memories. I remember watching this on I think it was nick', shortly after getting home from school. Can't wait to see the P&P one. Wasn't there one about a summer camp too?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Salute Your Shorts was about the summer camp, good show

    ReplyDelete
  9. This had a triple slot with Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and Home Improvement just before the news when I was growing up. Watched it every day. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahahaa i fucking remember this show

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, Sam Anders :')

    btw, the link on my blog is fixed, you can click it now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ive seen it a few times wasnt one of my favorites

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm I don't know this show... It might be because I live in Belgium... But then again, all the other cool shows are familiar to me... HMMMM...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lazy eye or no, she was cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. http://areaxmen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. lol at Ferguson W. Darling

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your work on this blog is great! keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. hahaha great blog, i'll eat my heart out when melissa joan hart wins an award for her acting

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ive never heard of this one, maybe its an American only thing, or it traumatized me and ive blanked it from my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I lOVED THIS SHOW when i was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh god, i remember this. wasn't one of my favorites, but it was one of the few things that was on during it's time slot.
    i remember one episode when her brother made a gigantic rubber band ball.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Didn't like the show back then and the lazy eye is creeping me out now. On another note, how soon until we are bludgeoned with a Blossom post?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dude, I remember when I had a crush on Melissa Joan-Heart... It was like a guilty pleasure, you'd watch the show to see her, but you didn't want your friends to find out haha

    ReplyDelete
  24. Is it really from 1991? Makes me feel old. I still remembered the theme song tho.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I want Clarissa to Explain it All.... In my pants!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. i nostalgia like a mad man atm
    never really liked the show, but always watched it

    90's meh generation.

    ReplyDelete
  27. this was just before my time. I was born when this show was put on the air.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I remember coming home and watching this, I didn't like it as much as Sabrina. But Being 23 now it was a bit too girly when I was young.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think same as Captain Coverman. I liked that girl more in Sabrina, as I've seen both series. But still this one is good and entertaining as well ^^

    ReplyDelete